|Published||November 21, 2023|
1900 Aldrich Street
Austin, Texas, 78723
DevOps Engineer Associate Intern
Unclassified Temporary Full-Time (UFP)
LOB Infrastructure Operations
$23.00 - 25.00, Hourly Wage
December 1st at 5:00 pm, CST
WHO WE ARE:
The Information Technology (IT) Division lays the foundation for TRS to deliver excellent service experiences across the organization and with our members. We serve with purpose through mentorship and collaboration across a diverse team unified by innovation to create technology and information solutions that have a positive impact on our members' lives.
We invite you to join one of Austin's Top Workplaces. TRS offers a best-in-class combination of technology and continuous learning opportunities to equip you to solve problems, expand your knowledge, and create impact for 1 in 20 Texans.
Note: This position is a full-time, limited term assignment.
The DevOps Engineer Intern performs routine (entry-level) system engineering work supporting the application infrastructure and the build/release pipeline for TRS Pension and Healthcare Line of Business applications. Work involves assisting with managing a complex application and infrastructure environment with a primary focus on gaining practical work experience and business skills for personal development or to satisfy educational requirements. This position reports to the LOB Infrastructure Operations Manager.
Benefits of a TRS IT Information Systems Internship: This is a paid, full-time position that offers interns the opportunity to gain substantive experience in Infrastructure and DevOps engineering. Interns enjoy the chance to get training and mentoring from experienced professionals in one or more of these areas.
This position will start on June 5th and will end on August 9th of 2024.
Salary will be dependent upon education level:
Undergraduate (Senior) - $23.00/hour
Graduate Student - $25.00/hour
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
DevOps & Release Engineering• Assists with infrastructure support focusing in the area of Microsoft Windows and Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform (EAP) and Fuse Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) technologies.
• Assists with the deployment of applications across multiple technologies, primarily based on Windows PowerShell.
• Analyzes and diagnoses infrastructure problems related to Red Hat and Microsoft technologies.
• Works with developers, DBAs, QA staff and others for continuous process improvements and high quality deliveries on time.
• Assists with developing policies, procedures, and standards for installing, configuring, and supporting Red Hat technologies with Microsoft Windows servers.
System Support & Maintenance• Assists with installation, configuration, monitoring and maintenance of a large Microsoft server farm with Java applications.
• Monitors applications to ensure system availability.
• Collaborates with other agency staff to maintain application and network security.
Performs other duties as required
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
• Currently enrolled in and actively attending an accredited college or university as an undergraduate student with a declared major in Information Technology, Computer Science, or other relevant program AND within 12 months of graduation; OR
• Currently enrolled as a graduate student (Master or Doctoral) in an Information Technology, Computer Science, or other relevant program.
• Applicant will be required to submit a copy of official college transcripts
Required Registration, Certification, Licensure
• Experience in Windows and Red Hat infrastructure design and support.
• Experience with DevOps, Agile, ITIL methodologies and practices.
• Letter(s) of recommendation from program professor(s) are strongly encouraged.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of:• The practices, principles, and techniques of DevOps for continuous delivery of the application stack using automation including web, middleware, and database technologies, along with monitoring and network operations.
• Microsoft Windows Server, Microsoft Windows PowerShell, Red Hat JBoss EAP, Red Hat FUSE, network protocols and security, current hardware and software architectures, and integration within these systems.
Skill in:• Analyzing routine problems and developing workable solutions.
• Communicating technical information to people of all levels of technical knowledge.
• Planning, organizing, and coordinating work to effectively meet frequent and/or multiple deadlines; handling multiple tasks simultaneously; and managing conflicting priorities and demands.
Ability to:• Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and external contacts.
• Work effectively in a professional team environment.
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Codes:
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty ( www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_AdministrativeSupport.pdf ) along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Talent Acquisition at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] with questions or for additional information.
For more information, visit www.trs.texas.gov.