|Date Posted||August 11, 2019|
Medical Science & Computing (MSC) is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
NCBI advances science and public health by providing free access over the web to biomedical literature and genomic data, making it one of the 400 top most-visited sites in the world. NCBI's diverse staff of smart, talented, and deeply technical people collaborate to build critically valuable services for researchers, physicians, educators, students, and the general public. For example, NCBI develops and delivers PubMed, an index of over 29 million biomedical research abstracts, often with links to full-text literature and supporting data. NCBI is located in Bethesda, Maryland, and is part of the U.S. National Library of Medicine, one of the National Institutes of Health.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
Duties & Responsibilities
Medical Science & Computing is searching for a strong DevOps Inventory Engineer Analyst to join our Inventory team within the DevOps team to work on the Enterprise Inventory of software products, developments and operations.
Enterprise Inventory is a collection of software artifacts and services that we develop, build, and operate. Inventory is a part of software process modernization and supports transitioning of software development and operations to a modern DevOps-based infrastructure that automates software builds and testing, deploys services to a service mesh, and automatically monitors operations. In Inventory we track project and product teams, link software development activities with our staff database, and with a formal portfolio of service offerings. The Inventory supports the adoption of the DevOps platform, including analysis and mapping of legacy infrastructure to the DevOps platform to allocate costs and plan for DevOps platform adoption.
Duties & Responsibilities
A successful candidate for this position will work in a small team to:
- Develop software to operate an enterprise-wide software inventory
- Design data warehouse schema and ETL processes to represent legacy software processes in Inventory
- Instrument software delivery pipeline with logging to track software delivery activity in Inventory
- Index, integrate, and report of software development and operational metrics based on data in Inventory
- Research, select and operate data warehousing and business intelligence reporting tools
- Script to integrate Inventory with software development tools (source code control, continuous integration server, issue tracker, incident management system, time-series database, etc.)
- Analyze legacy software infrastructure and integrate it with Inventory
- Plan migration of legacy systems to the new infrastructure. Legacy software base consists of tens of thousands of source files, comprising millions of lines of code in C++ and other languages, developed over the past 30 years, and supported by several thousand on-premises hosts. Many software build and deployment processes are unique to each project team.
- Index and catalog legacy software build and deployment processes,
- Associate legacy software with the hosts where they run, with the development teams responsible for them, and with the new formal service offering portfolio.
- Interview existing development teams to characterize build processes used by their teams and their adherence to DevOps platform principles
- Script analyses to associate artifacts and services with the portfolio
- Expand NCBI DevOps capabilities.
- Customer-focused, team-oriented disposition
- At least three years of professional experience
- Excellent communication and soft skills to deal with customers, peers and management
- Good judgement, sense of integrity and responsibility
- Expertise in at least one programming language, such as Golang, Python, Java, Kotlin, Scala, C, C++
- Solid understanding of CI/CD and experience with Git/Svn, GitHub/BitBucket/GitLab, Jenkins/TeamCity.
- Solid understanding of data warehouse technologies (Cloudera/RedShift) and business intelligence reporting tools (Tableau/QuickSight)
- Solid Linux skills
- Understanding of C++ build processes (makefiles, linking, library builds, etc.)
- Experience with AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Solid understanding of web development but no need to be an expert web developer
- Solid understanding of distributed systems and micro-services
- Good understanding of data warehousing and modern DevOps practices and technologies
- Ability to research, select and operate data warehousing and business intelligence reporting tools
- BS in a STEM field (Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics)
- OR equivalent industry experience in Software Development
- Presentation skills
- Coaching skills
- Legacy systems analysis skills
- Solr or ElasticSearch experience
- Python Django experience
- Prior DevOps experience
- Monitoring products (TICK/TIGK stack (Telegaf, InfluxDB, Grafana, Kapacitor), Prometheus, Stackdriver, etc.)
- Logging products (ELK, Splunk, etc.)
- Containers (Docker, rkt, etc.)
- Cluster schedulers and container orchestrators (Kubernetes, Nomad, or Apache Mesos)
- HashiCorp products (consul, Terraform, Vault, packer, Vagrant)
- Service Mesh (linkerd, istio/envoy, consul connect)
- Spinnaker, Blue/Green and Canary Deployments
- SQL and NoSQL databases
Medical Science & Computing is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.