|February 10, 2024
About the Role
New Classrooms is seeking a Lead Cloud/DevOps Engineer to own the design, hands on implementation, and support of the AWS cloud infrastructure and the DevOps stack. The Lead Engineer will champion DevOps culture while partnering with Product, Cybersecurity, and Engineering teams to define and execute against technical designs following industry best practices.
This role is remote and requires some overlap with our headquarters timezone of EDT/EST.
What You Would Do
- Plan the Cloud/DevOps roadmap to meet Product and business objectives
- Collaborate with stakeholders, Cybersecurity, and technical teams to gather and analyze requirements, and design infrastructure that meet business, security, and technical objectives
- Develop, implement, and support cloud-native solutions using AWS services and Terraform, ensuring scalability, security, and high availability
- Responsible for all DevOps areas: infrastructure and AWS cloud environment, CI/CD, observability, and Cloud Security
- Lead the technical teams through the design and implementation of Continuous Delivery architecture and process to include Blue/Green environments, feature flagging, and related tools
- Accountable for the management and technical leadership of the Cloud and DevOps stack
- Implement monitoring, logging, and alerting solutions to ensure application health and performance in production environments
- Lead a developer/development experience culture - make developers more efficient and productive by addressing their pain points, ensuring the reusability of tools across development teams, maintaining consistent standards for testing and monitoring, and continuously improving developer tools
- Troubleshoot and resolve production technical issues related to application functionality, performance, and integration
- Stay updated with the latest AWS services, development practices, and industry trends to continuously improve and optimize architecture design and Best Practices
- Author and maintain high-quality documentation and architectural diagrams
The technology stack in which we work includes:
- Front end built with React and Relay
- Data access and updates through GraphQL
- Microservices implemented in C# and .NET Core
- Test suites written in Python
- PostgreSQL database clusters
- AWS infrastructure managed with Terraform
- GitLab build and deployment pipelines
What We Are Looking For
- 10+ years of experience in software development, DevOps, and technical operations support
- 6+ years AWS cloud infrastructure design, build and management
- DevOps and troubleshooting experience with Windows and/or Linux
- Strong knowledge of IaC, Terraform, bash
- Deep technical expertise in the management and automation of multiple areas, such as operating systems, network infrastructure, security infrastructure, databases, application servers, and monitoring systems
- Experience with Blue/Green environments and feature flagging tools
- Extensive knowledge of AWS cloud networking topologies and diagnostics
- Thorough understanding of infrastructure (compute, storage, monitoring, security, etc.) and experience with cloud deployment orchestration and tools
- Strong experience with Load balancing, high availability, disaster recovery, and storage architectures.
- Understanding of code deployment pipelines, continuous integration / continuous delivery systems, and Agile methodology
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
- AWS certifications a plus
Role Classification and Benefits
This role is remote, full-time, and includes benefits such as rich medical, dental, and vision insurance, 42 paid days off per year (prorated for the period in which you work), paid parental leave, a professional development budget of $375 annually and a quarterly cell phone subsidy.
The hiring salary range for this role is $145,000 - $160,000 and will be commensurate with experience. We have a hiring salary range of $150,000 - $165,000 for specific higher cost of labor locations, which include New York City, Washington DC, Boston, San Francisco/Oakland, Los Angeles, Seattle and their metro areas.
New Classrooms is a fully remote organization. All employees work from home, and occasionally travel for in-person get-togethers and off-sites.
Commitment to Diversity
At New Classrooms we are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to create and inspire better ways to give every student an educational foundation for lifelong success. In order to fully realize this mission we are dedicated to building a diverse pool of candidates including those from underrepresented backgrounds, and resolute in building an inclusive culture that supports and celebrates the diverse voices and perspectives of our employees.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.
$145,000 - $160,000